Sunday, June 1, 2008

Donde Esta Tonala?






Well this Saturday our field trip was to Tonala. It was a cute little city about 45 minutes outside of Guadalajara. There was a lot of little shops that are relatively cheap and they had some really good and unique stuff. We had a few hours to walk around and shop and explore. I found a cute pair of earrings and a couple other small things. I more enjoyed just stopping and talking to people along the way at the shops and using my Spanish. We kept seeing these coconut stands everywhere. So finally we decided to stop at one of these shops and try a coconut. We started talking to the guy and he asked us where we were from. We told him we were from the U.S. and the state of Utah. He started asking if that was close to California and the Lakers. I am beginning to think everyone here loves the Lakers because I get asked about the Lakers a lot and if I am close to where they play. Its pretty funny! I also found this really cool chair that I would totally put in my house. They had so many home decoration stores. It made me wish I had my own house to decorate because a lot of the stuff was totally up my alley. But I asked the guy how much the chair was (thinking maybe i could shove it in my suitcase.. hahah.. not really... jk) It was real leather and was pretty big and it was only $950 pesos which translates into about $95 american dollars. Everything was sooooo cheap in Tonala. I ended up talking to the guy for a while. He was really nice and we talked about the US and he tried using what little espanol he knew. It was really fun and I found that talking to the people here in Mexico is more priceless then anything else. I found out so much about there culture and it has helped my Spanish grow leaps and bounds just using it. And the locals are pretty good about helping you out with Spanish too. If I say something wrong they help correct me and explain to me why. After Tonala we stopped at an Art Museum in Zapopon. It was really cool because it was very modern art. I really enjoy when we go to art museums because I just totally love art and could spend hours at the museums. Sadly we only got an hour, but it was very interesting and amazing none the less! That night we had stake conference for the adult session. It was so good because by now I am getting to where I can understand more of church and actually feel the spirit because I am not having to concentrate so hard on translating every word and now i can focus a little more on the actual content and feel the spirit. Its so amazing the feeling of being able to understand someone talk in a different language and actually be able to communicate back to them in it as well! Its such a feeling of self fulfillment and I can feel all that studying paying off!! Well thats me. Hopefully I got you all up to date! Miss you all!! Te quiero!! :)

No comments: