Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Zoo and Banda!! hmm... :)











Well this weekend was quite a weekend!! Friday after school we went all went to the zoo which is like a two hour bus ride!! And not the charter bus we get for our Saturday field trips, this was a rickety public transportation bus. Luckily it wasn't very full when we got on because there was 25 of us plus our leader and the 5 members of her family. We filled up every seat on the bus plus filled a pretty big part of the isle way. But the closer we got the zoo the more and more people that got on! Holy Cow! I was one of the people standing up and we were crammed in there like sardines. We had fun taking a couple pictures which I posted above. By the time the two hours were up I needed a breath of fresh air. It was so crazy!!! The zoo was pretty cool. We got to go on a Safari. We sat in little train type things ( i posted a picture of a few of our group on it) but they were driven like normal vehicles not on tracks. We drove straight through the animals and some of them came right up to the vehicle. We got to feed carrots to the giraffe. He came right up to the vehicle. It was really neat to see a giraffe close up. They are so much taller and bigger that close up. We also got to see the coolest zebras. One was black and one was this tan color. I took a picture of it (posted above) and it turned out really cool. Nani told me it was good enough to go on a post card. I am assuming thats a compliment. hehe.. We also got to go explore the zoo after the safari. We found a petting zoo and I found a pygmy horse and immediately thought of grandma! So grandma I took a picture just for you cause I know you want one a pygmy horse really bad!! Maybe I could bring this one home in my suitcase for ya! ;) heheh... I also made sure we went to the elephants. Mom always has us stand by the elephants and get our picture taken. So not wanting to break tradition I had my roommate take a picture of me in front of the elephants. We left the zoo and then had to ride the bus back for two more hours. Since it was a little later the bus back wasn't as crowded. That night our friends Jared, Manuel, and Chewy invited us to go dancing. We usually end up going dancing on the weekends with these guys. Usually we go dancing at an American or Modern club where its just hip hop and pop music. But the guys wanted to surprise us and take us to do some different type of dancing. They told us this kind of dancing was more native to Mexico. Its called the banda. So we went to a Banda club and we got our first taste of banda. Its really hard to explain exactly what it was cause I have never see anything like it in the states. Basically it reminds me of rabbits or something cause you do a lot of hopping and just moving around. It was definetly an experience and fun to try but it was not my favorite. It was fun to dance with the boys and just talk to them. They were all there that night and I got to dance with each one of them and just talk to them in Spanish. It was a really fun night! The last picture on the post is of all of us girls waiting for the boys to pick us up to take us dancing. Well I am going to make another post about our field trip Saturday!! :)

No comments: