Thursday, May 29, 2008

A day in the life of Kera in Mexico! :)









The last couple days have been really super busy, but every minute here is totally worth it. School is going well and service is still amazing as ever. Yesterday the madre asked us if we could plan a little carnival or something similar for the boys for the last day we are with the boys. We are starting to brainstorm some ideas. The other day I gave the madre that is always so nice to me (the one that I posted a picture of before) copies of the pictures I took of me and her. She was so excited and asked me to write a note for her on the back and sign my name to. Then she asked if I wanted this treat they always give the boys. The boys call them churros, but they are nothing like them. They look like one huge wafer with salsa on them. The salsa is more just hot sauce, but every type of sauce here is called salsa. I said sure and she asked if I wanted the salsa on it. I said just a little cause the sauce is really hot. When she came out with it she had literally put one drop of sauce in the middle of the wafer. I tried hard not to laugh, because she took me wanting a little literally! It was pretty funny. Monday night was family home evening. I love family home evening because the single mexican boys come too and it gives us an opportunity to use our Spanish more. We just played some games and then afterwards rehearsed for our talent show which is next week. We got done late so Manuel, one of the single mexican guys, offered to take Me, Nani, Kaela, and Becky home since we all live near him. We all crammed into his little red bug. Its so much fun cruising around in his little red bug. He is so nice and always offers to take us places. The one picture of the three of us, is when we were crammed int he back of Manuel's bug. Its a little squishy in the back but we didn't mind. Tuesday we got to go do baptisms for the dead in the Guadalajara temple. It was such a neat experience. The guys in our group are returned missionaries so they got to preform the ordinances and that was really neat and I think brought us closer together as a group on a spiritual level. As we were coming out the sun was setting and looked so pretty against the temple so I took a couple pictures. It was beautiful. Afterwards a big group of us went and got ice cream. We have been doing that lately after activity because the ice cream is soooooooooooooo good here!! We are all addicted and will probably gain 10 pounds alone from ice cream!! Yesterday morning was quite an interesting morning. On our way to school there is this little black dog that we named "Todo" because he looks just like Dorthy's dog off Wizard of Oz. Anyways, we were walking past him and all of the sudden I hear Nani gasp and she starts crying. I look at her and she rips here hand out of the dogs mouth. He had put his head through the fence and grabbed onto her hand. He punctured pretty far in and she was bleeding all over. There was a lady out there with the dog and she just looked at us and said "el no esta enfermo" (he isn't sick) and then she put the dog inside. We both stood there, Nani crying with her punctured bleeding hand and the lady didn't do anything. So we went back home and told our mom. She got so mad that the lady didn't do anything and she was scared because rabies is a little bit more of a worry here then it is in the states. So they scrubbed Nani's hand out and then called the doctor and then the police. So our dad, being the nice and caring man he is, ran us to the doctor. The doctors was a little bit of a run down place and I was a little scared but they took care of Nani and scrubbed her wound out with iodine looking stuff. Then he gave her a prescription for medication to make sure she isn't in pain and doesn't get an infection. Then we had to go to the animal shelter place and file a report to have the dog picked up so they can be observed for 10 days to make sure he doesn't have rabies. Then we went and picked up Nani's meds and we also had to pick up a tetnis shot and the needle. Here you have to go buy the needle and the medicine first and then take it to a doctor or a lot of people just have anyone give it to them. A little scary! Nani ended up having one of the girls in our group give it to her. I thought she was crazy but it worked out and now she is still in a little pain but doing well. Well that was yesterday morning. Kind of crazy. Then last night we went with a big group of people to "Indiana Jones 4" it was ok, but not as good as the first three. I sat by one of the friends I have made here. He is from Korea here in Mexico learning Spanish at the same University I am. Me and Mark and some other kids in our group were in line for something one day and we started to talking to him cause Mark served his mission in Korea and come to find out this guy is LDS but went inactive for a while cause he was baptized 5 years ago but when he moved back to Korea he couldn't find a church to go to and ended up just not going. We invited him to church and now he comes to church with us every week and goes to a lot of our church activites. He is such an awesome guy. During the movie he leaned over and was like "quieres esto" (i want that) as he pointed at my popcorn. So we ended up sharing my popcorn and having a good ol time. It was really fun. Today was kind of a long day, but it was interesting as well. Today we got to see the boys at our service perform one of the Catholic services celebrating the Virgin Mary. We went in with them to there chapel where they hold mass. We kneeled with them as they said their prayers and sung some songs. It was really interesting to me. They had a statue of the Virgin Mary in the middle and through out the service they gave different gifts to the Virgin. I started to get a little emotional because I was excited that these boys are at least being brought up in a religion where they are taught to love God and there is someone who loves them, but I was also really sad because I felt like the madres taught them a lot about God but there were some things missing and at times it felt really empty. I wanted to get up and say I have some things that could really change the boys lives, but I just kept my thoughts to myself. But anyways, it was really interesting and got me curious about what everything symbolizes cause there was a lot of symbology. But afterwards we played with the boys and they have found out that I can draw so they are always bringing their notebooks to me and asking me to draw things in them for them!! Its really fun cause I haven't drawn for a while! But anyways.. thats me so far. Still living it up in Mexico. Hasta Luego!!

1 comment:

duckey0712 said...

Kera~
Just sitting here with your family and we were looking at your blog. Your family is hanging out in Spanish Fork today...they came up for Trevors baptism. We'll have to send you some of the pictures. Sounds like you are having a blast. Stay safe and we'll check the blog more frequently now that we know how to get here.

Take care,
Pat, Ang, Ryley, Trevor, and Zach